Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Danse Russe"

I fell behind on my blogs about the readings, so I thought I’d revisit a poem that we read earlier in the summer.  “Danse Russe” by William Carlos Williams will be an experience that I will never forget.  The first time we read the poem, I noticed many people with expressions revealing that they thought him crazy.  Silly.  As for my own reaction, I couldn’t help but feel a heavy sadness for the man. 

At first, I did not thinking that his wild antics in front of the mirror took place in his head.  I thought it was his rebellion—his room to escape the confines of society and his role in it.  When I realized that it was all taking place in his head, I became even more disheartened.  How alone must this man be?

A few weekends ago, I was talking to my father about my writing.  Suddenly, I remembered “Danse Russe,” because it reminded me of him.  As his eyes scanned the computer screen, he grew quiet. 

“Isn’t he like you?” I asked.

My dad grew uncomfortable.  “But I’m not lonely like him.  Although I could definitely see myself doing that in front of the mirror.”

Despite his attempt at humor, I could tell the poem struck a nerve.  Since then, I’ve wondered how many other fathers feel that overwhelming sense of isolation and burden, whether they admit it or not.

I have become so fond of “Danse Russe” that I decided to include it in my group’s final presentation.  When I read stories and poems, my mind forms specific images.  I chose to draw the image I saw when reading “Danse Russe.”  Translating the poem into art was an interesting experience.  I think that may be a good way to engage students with literature even further.  

1 comment:

  1. Firstly, I absolutely adore your art. Your Danse Russe interpretation was one of my favorite pieces that you did. That is interesting that you asked your dad’s opinion on the poem. That makes me wonder what my dad would say. I believe that there are times when we all feel isolated or overwhelmed in a way. Case point: finals. I don’t know about you, but there were some serious times that a dance party with my roomies was necessary in order to run around and free myself from the chains of studying. I think you make a solid point about the character’s sense of abandonment. I really enjoyed reading your blog and by all means keep doing art!

    ReplyDelete