Thursday, November 11, 2010

"The Snows of Kilimanjaro"

“The Snows of Kilimanjaro” struck me as one of the more complicated Hemingway short stories we’ve read so far this semester.  I think it would take me many more readings before I could grasp the true gist of the story.  There is so much depth and detail that I probably missed.  But like “A Way You’ll Never Be,” I thought Hemingway’s writing style reflected the message he wanted to get across.  There was not the stream of consciousness technique in this story, but I did think the present and past was muddled to show that Harry was fading.

Harry’s attitude towards his writing was one I could connect with immediately.  He regretted his decision to put off writing about his experiences, especially since his time had run out.  Every moment that he had wasted drinking, womanizing, and being lazy could have been spent creating something meaningful.  As a writer, I also feel like I am cheating myself by putting off writing or not writing at all.  His regret and disappointment were understandable.

One of the things I enjoyed most about this story were Hemingway’s stylistic choices.  In the present time, the writing was bare and almost lethargic.  Mostly, it was dialogue.  I think it reflected where Harry was in that part of his life—he had married a rich woman who he didn’t love, and he had given up his writer’s soul.  His flashbacks, however, were rich in their description.  Although they had happened a while ago, he still remembered them with striking clarity, leading me to believe that those were the moments he cherished and felt were worthwhile. 
                

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" being one of Hemingway's more complicated stories that we have read. It was only during class that many of the themes and some of the symbolism were made clear to me. I like that you were able to relate to this story on a more personal level as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" is a complicated story. It is different from what we have read in the past by Hemingway. During class, I realized there were many details I missed. I liked the story and read it again and I can see how you relate to the character. It is interesting to hear your point of view on the story since you relate so well. I enjoyed blog and agree with many of the points you made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is a complicated story. When reading it, I did not grasp many of the things that they pointed out in class. I like that you were able to connect with the character. It brings new insights into how the character might be feeling, and definitely shows a connection to what Hemingway might have been feeling at the time he wrote it. It is also interesting that you pointed out the muddled state of the whole story and connected it to his state of mind both at the time he wrote it and at the time he was experiencing those things.

    ReplyDelete